Saturday, February 9, 2008

An explication and a dance revolution

So I realized that the way the blog reads currently, time is in a bit of a mobius strip overlapping two seperate points in time, which was not at all intended, but just happened in a interesting and synchronicitious way. I started this blog a month ago, because I wanted to spend some time writing about the experience of dancing with a thorough intensity, mostly in the live setting, although I have begun to work it out at home in my living room and started to work on choreography with more studied movement. It's actually a very solidly developing project, and I hope to have some footage of that to come once I get the vid.cam and can start to document the process of fully building a dancestyle, which is itself still in the works. It is quite different listening to music in the privacy and relative security and spaciousness of my living room, and experiencing it live. While the intensity can be as high, it's of a very different type. Live it's much more of an emotional/spiritual thing, whereas alone @home it can be much more about exploring the physicality and choreographical nature of dance and movement.
Okay, so I got away from myself there, and maybe I'll get more into the process of developing danceability on the homefront, but I was trying to explain why it seems like we move forward in time while we're moving backward in time through the posts. Maybe that was a poor explication, but here's what's going on. In my last post I talked about seeing Cat Power three nights ago, which was from her recent tour, and then in the post previous I'm referencing the Cat Power show from last July, which was a seminal moment in my life in that it reminded me about the power of music. It really reopened my eyes to how much of my life I had been shutting away by being a nutzo-freaknik and hiding away from the world. It really was a turning point, and by the end of the year I was going to see live music all the time, sometimes two or three times a week. Whenever I could find the time and money, I would go and dance with wild abandon. So, I started this blog to really look at that transformation, and how music helped to bring me out of my shellacking and get me back on the road to creative living where I ultimately need to exist to survive.

As to the dancerevolution, it would be so freakin' awesome if this country got swept up in it. I know the last dance craze was the macarena, which was a pretty cloying song and an even worse dance. I'm talking about something different. I'm talking about the dancerevolution, a complete reorganization of the way we experience music, as in bodily instead of simply in the ears. People really seem to take music for granted these days. I see people everywhere with there earbuds in shutting out the world, and few of them seem too enraptured. That's the possibility in music for this intense spiritual awakening that brightens the world and gives you a newfound sense of joy and purposefulness, not simply a distraction. If we could get people dancing, I feel strongly that we would be making that first step on the road to a total revolution of the modern mindset towards strictly capital and material collection and consumption. Then we might begin moving back into the light of our spirit that resides within waiting with unfathomable patience to be let free to roam the wild branches of the mind and really, truly become.

No comments: