Friday, February 1, 2008

And now back to our show...

If yr just tuning in our hero is going to see Cat Power. It's the first time he's been to a concert in almost two years, and he's trying not to go into full on catatonia from his anxious/avoidant personality.

So, it's raining something heavy and I'm wandering around for just a minute for the hell of it. It seemed like the thing to do since it didn't take too very long to get to Kenmore square from my then new residence in Dorchester. I wander in the general direction of what I think I remember is where the Avalon is, and I was not wrong even as it had been over ten years since I had been there last. The line was full of hipsters trying to keep their fully coiffed just-got-out-of-bed hair intact. Okay, that's just not true, I wasn't paying any attention to the others. Mostly I was just trying to get to the bar.
After a few Jack and Gingers and a singer/songwriter singing songs he, no doubt, wrote, I slipped into the crowd gathering on the dancefloor waiting, waiting...and for our patience there was music. When she took the stage and started in on The Greatest, I could feel my heart welling up with the joy that only music live and warm can bring. I could feel the tender beat of my emotions chanting through my very pores, and when she sang those words, Don't Explain, I thought my heart would explode with the sad gladness of a song that strikes deep in the chords of my being.
And on the show went into the soul sounds of Memphis where I comfort myself many a night, and I danced, and I danced, and it was all so beautiful. I can't explain, but Chan with her leather-strapped wrist, her waifeshness that dissolves in the power of her intensity, and her off beat, strange dance-like movements that were so endearing, she was the supernova of my galaxy that night. The giddily pronounced 'Bu-bye' that ended the show sans encore was perfect and right, and I went gliding out into the streets singing until my lungs filled with tears.

No comments: