Sunday, January 6, 2008

Intro the outro

I had it in my head that I was going to include this articleish bit of prose I had written several months ago. It was actually the first thing I ever wrote with the intention of going blog with, so for sentimental reasons I had wanted to include it here. It was called, Does Boston Rock: From article to blog and back in thirty seconds, and that was kind of the spirit of the thing. I was really trying to talk about what my experiences have been going to shows and dancing my arse off, which is what I do when I go see live music. I was gonna include it as is bookended by commentary posts, but in rereading the thing it's just not fit for even semi-public consumption. It really was all over the place trying to describe what music is like and my physical reactions. The one sort of difficultly is in describing my participation in the music because when you dance with the intensity and with the years of practice that I've had, it effects the music, and I've always been a little shy about trying to express that. I struggled with that in this piece, and ultimately that is what made it unsuccessful. So I pulled back at the last minute, and I'm gonna blow it off, but I do want to explore the original notion: Does Boston Rock? The original article in my head was from years ago and was called: Does Memphis Rock? The essential point being that Memphis was full of great music and a really vital garage rock, alt thing going on, but the audiences from those shows were way to hip to dance. At least, that was the impression that I got from going to see a lot of bands from that genre. It really felt like the cooler-than-thou attitude was inhibitory to any kind of dancing because to dance you have to be fearless about making a fool of yrself. That's just the way it is. If you want to learn to dance, you have to go through a time when you look like an idiot, and without a live band, it is just not the same. Well, just a few off the top of my head kernels on the subject of dancing. Next on the agenda is to get into specifics about the shows from this past year.

Currently listening to: Lupe Fiasco's The Cool

No comments: