Sunday, January 6, 2008

Manifesto of Intentions

Okay so, why you might ask (if you cared or existed) is this guy setting up yet another blog? This is the third blog I've started in less than a month, and one solid reason is that I'm hooked on the whole concept. I've always felt that life is an art, and as a writer it has always been my thing to try and turn my life into written art in some form or another. Now the blogform gives us an opportunity to integrate these two ideas a little closer in presenting aspects of a life for exhibition in a semi-straightforward way; the lifeart of existence and the written art that comes as a by-product of that lifeart now also begets a written journal of the lifeart. That was a little convoluted, but I think my point is basically made.
The reason I'm starting another blog is simpler. I started my first blog as a catch-all for whatever tidbits float out of my head and into the keyboard. It seemed like the thing to do for me, but quickly it became clear that I wanted to start a more structured blog that was specifically about the process of writing and would be a journal of my attempts at various different projects. So far I'm still working out how that's gonna go, but the blog thing is structurally really loose, which I love and have embraced fully.
Anyway, this blog is meant to catalog and describe another aspect of my life that I feel I should spend some time on and go back to sort through, which is concert going and dancing. In many ways that is the thing for me. As much I enjoy and am fond of writing, it's still a lot of work, even when it's fun and off the cuff like blogging. Dancing is never work. It's always this intense, ecstatic experience. In many ways it is very spiritual. I'll get into the whole argument about that in the future. For now it's enough to say that the world would probably be a better place if more people were willing to let loose and shake their bones a little bit.
So there's plenty to talk about: the spiritual nature of dancing, it's connection to traditional religious rituals, it's relegated place in modern societies, etc. Mostly I'm going to start just going back through the year 2007 in concert-going. I had laid off on going to many shows for a lot of reasons, but the last few months of '07 were just chock full of great shows. So that's were I'm gonna start. Go back through those times, dredge the old memory storage and see what shakes out, and then take it from there. All vey loose with a basic structure, just what the blogger ordered.

No comments: