Saturday, January 19, 2008

The intensity of my freak

Okay, so before I get into actually talking about and reliving some of the unbelievably righteous shows that I've seen in the past six months, I wanted to expand a little bit on a theme that I started in the last post. I was trying to describe what it's like to throw some major intensity on a dancefloor, and how that effects a band. One of the things that has changed for me over the years is that now I almost exclusively go see shows in bars or smaller venues mostly because I like to get right up where the action is and get my freak on. I'm almost without fail the first, and on occasion the only person to lay the freak down. Mostly people pick up the energy and will move, but there are those indie-rock shows where people seem to be too hip to get down. I say that with all due curiousity and misunderstanding. What is the deal with that? Do ya'll just really not like to dance or what?
I can't even fathom, although I did see someone in the paper talking about how obnoxious the guy standing next to him at some concert was who was dancing when all he wanted to do was watch. I'm sure that guy, if it wasn't actually me, felt the same way about you. I know it drives me crazy to be squished in with no room to dance, or, horror of horrors, to have everybody sit down. I mean, I'm not gonna be the obnoxious guy. I'm really not. I'll sit down if that's the prevailing attitude, but understand that I could, in all seriousness, have a heart attack from the stress of it. I won't take more room than is there, but if you give me some space, I'll show you what it means to be a fanastic freak.
My experience has also been, from the musicians that I've discussed it with, that bands and musicians love it when people dance. They always tell me how much they love the intensity I'm willing to put on it because I go full bore from the first note, and they feed off of it, so the show ultimately will have more energy and be more exciting when people are dancing there arses off. So the point of all this was GO...Dance yr arse off to some live music, tonite!

No comments: