Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Greatest

I was moseying around the internet last July when I saw that Cat Power was playing that very night at the now defunct Avalon. The Avalon was a great spot for artists who are too big for the Middle East, but don't necessarily want the formality of the Orpheum. It's a nice, big general admission place with a really large dancefloor, which I love. I hadn't been to the place in years, but it suddenly seemed like the time to get just a little bit out of my rut, and go see a good show. So, I scoped some tickets and headed down the way.
I hadn't actually been down to Lansdowne St. since I moved back to Boston, and I didn't want to get to the show too early. I was by my lonesome, which used to be my favorite way to see shows because I would always meet such interesting people, but now I'm too anxious in crowds to really meet people. Anyway, my friend Ami and her boyfriend Josh, who have become my partners in crime on the show-going scene, weren't around, so I was flying solo. I know that may seem weird to some people, and undoubtedly it is a little bit. I really like to spend time alone. I don't necessarily mind people, but I'm a bit of a lone wolf.
Okay, so enough of the freakaside, it is surely clear that I'm a strange one, but on the dancefloor I think that's a good quality. A little insanity gives you a little something extra in yr dancing shoes. If you watch those old anthropological shows on PBS and you see those dancers in the rainforests and jungles, yo, the ones who are dancing are probably what we in Nacirema here call chemically imbalanced. Those cats can freak, too. Alright, I've gotten totally away from myself here. Not entirely uncommon, especially when I'm trying to justify myself. I'll get into the show next time. Same Cat time, same Cat channel.

No comments: